PIECES on Main
Records show that the store building was erected in the late 1800s by Mr. William Oliver “OLLIE” McCabe as a general store. Mr. Ollie was known to his descendants as “Popper”. His wife, the former Virginia Gray, was known as “Mommer”. Mr. Ollie later leased the store to his brother-in-law, Charles Gray. This property may once have been a part of the real estate of James Oliver Hazzard, who operated a hotel adjacent to this lot on the corner of Swamp Road and Main Street. Mr. Hazzard died in 1879 and his brother took up the hotel, but portions of James O. Hazzard’s real estate was sold through Orphan’s Court. Once the property was returned to Mr. Ollie, he sold the property to Joshua Burton Chandler and his son, Frank J. Chandler. Mr. Frank ran the general store. The business was reputed to be the first store in town to sell fresh meat, kept in a modern refrigeration case. The business was known as “Chandler’s Store”. Mr. Frank retired, then died in 1963 at the age of 86. Following his retirement, the store was rented in 1956 to Gerald and Martha Timmons of Dagsboro, who ran Martha’s Interiors, a shop specializing in custom draperies and furnishings, for several years. Once this business closed, the building was sold to a Mr. Franklin T. Baker, a local contractor, who used the old store as a warehouse. Dagsboro native and attorney, D. Stephen Parsons purchased the old store and his wife Valerie operated an antique business called “The Red Rooster” for a short time. The building sat vacant for a few years until David and Karen Jayne and their family leased the store as “Jayne’s Reliable”, selling antique furniture, re-purposed furniture, sundry gift items and architectural salvage pieces. The Jayne’s relocated their business to a larger location on the corner of Main Street and Vines Creek Road in 2013. The old store was then leased by Travis Schafer and Stacy Doney and opened as “Beach Uniques”, featuring custom furniture, artwork, and architectural salvage items. The business closed at the end of the summer 2018.
Karen Murray has now leased the store as the home for her upcycled furniture and gift business “PIECES”. The old store became “PIECES on Main” and opened in November 2018, originally weekends only. The quaint old store contains the original front window, counters, shelving, and floors. It has the lovely ambiance of yesteryear and a perfect place to shop for that something special.
Come out and visit and find your treasure.